22 November 2009

deep fried goodness

Its off topic Sunday, so let's talk about food. It's the only think I like better than Physics.


Some of you know, some of you may not know: I hope to someday have a catering business and/or restaurant. I like to think I can do pulled pork pretty well. I have a small following of folks who tell me that my pork is pretty good. I also do a pretty good job of (real) chicken and sausage gumbo and I make a decent crawfish Étouffée. It's all homemade from scratch, there's no boxed stuff in our house when it comes to cajun food. Oh, by the way, I'm originally from Louisiana.


This weekend I decided I'd like to try adding another something to my menu, at least one that could be seasonal. That's one thing about the South you should know, they deep fry everything! So, why not a turkey? Yes, a full sized turkey. Here's how you prepare it:




  1. Thaw your turkey.

  2. Prepare a marinade known as "creole butter", which contains butter and so many seasonings I don't have room to list them all here.

  3. Inject your turkey with the marinade, using a very large hypodermic needle-type device.

  4. Let rest for at least 1 hour.

  5. Cook for about 45 minutes (14 lb. turkey) in a hot bath of peanut oil, which was previously heated to approximately 350° F.

  6. Remove from oil bath.

  7. Eat the most tasty, flavorful, moist, turkey you've ever eaten.


I cooked one tonight and it was delicious. I'll definitely be cooking it with the spicy marinade when I do it from here on out.  There's no way I can take steps backwards from the tastiness we had tonight. The skin is delicious, but I only had two bites of it. Seriously.


We checked with a local cajun restaurant in town and they want $56 for a fried turkey. Yikes! I think I can do it quite a bit cheaper than that. I'm not trying to undercut them too much, because its a valuable product, but $56? Come on!


If you are interested in ordering, "JB's BBQ" is officially taking orders. It's tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment